East Side Bedroom Restoration

We recently refurbished a bedroom for a good customer. The ceiling in this stately older home on the East Side had been textured during an earlier remodeling. We removed the texture, repaired the cracks, and applied a fresh coat of gypsum joint compound, which we then sanded smooth, primed, and painted.

We sanded the woodwork and primed the new Marvin sashes with Bullseye 1,2,3 primer. The windows, doors and wide baseboard were topcoated with two coats of Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo, “Antique White.” All the paints came from Young’s Paint Center in Dundas. The plaster walls were repaired and finished with two coats of Regal Aquavelvet HC-149, “Buxton Blue.”

The owners wished to refinish the old pine floor which had been carpeted over years earlier. On inspection the existing top coat was delaminating– it had probably been applied over a dirty or glossy surface. The safe choice was to remove this coat, which we did using Moore’s Finish Remover. While we did not have the dust associated with sanding, or the fumes that come with many strippers, we did enounter difficulties removing the old finish.

Here you see Chris Klein scraping the softened paint with a Warner carbide scraper. Chris, Jolene and I worked very hard on this project.
After removing the old topcoat, we washed the floor, filled holes, and applied two coats of M22 Urethane Enamel, HC-154, “Hale Navy.”

The finished room presents a simple and cozy charm, without going to the extreme of gutting the plaster or tearing up the old floor. This project expresses our ideal of Good Stewardship: we honed our old-fashioned painting and decorating craft skills while improving a treasured family home. And we started on a Monday and finished that Friday!